Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Rules of April Fool’s

April Fools jokes are a tradition in my family. When I was young my grandmother would tell us that the ice cream truck was outside and that we could have what we wanted, and my sister and I would run to the front yard while my grandmother laughed at us, yelling, “April Fool’s!” No ice cream truck. But it was all in good fun; we laughed and planned revenge, telling my grandma things like “Grandma your food is burning!”, which would sometimes happen when she cooked and then went to talk to her friends on the phone. She would walk to the kitchen and we would all yell, “April Fool’s!” and we would all enjoy a good laugh.


My father, being true to his hereditary, also played a few pranks on us. He would say, “One of your friends is here to see you,” and we would walk to the front door and no one was there. For revenge, I called him after work and told him that my car didn’t start, something that happened to me earlier that same month, and he had to drive to school to help me. When he started to leave his house and said, “I’ll be right there,” I said, yeah, you guessed it.
I have a few small pranks planned this year, but it’s always good to be cautious, so I’ve listed a few important things to remember about April Fool’s Day pranks that might be helpful.

Keep the Jokes Lighthearted
Don’t be cruel. I don’t plan on telling my husband that I’m pregnant, and I don’t plan on calling my parents to tell him that I had a car accident or that I’m in the hospital. That’s just mean. Keep your pranks lighthearted. This year I told my husband that I flunked my exam. I’m telling my friends and some family that I’m going to eat meat again, after five years of being a vegetarian. Try not to tell people jokes that might greatly affect them or their lives negatively. Also, big jokes can have big consequences, so please be safe and don’t do anything dangerous like attempt to run in front of your friend’s car just to scare your parents, you might really end up hurt.


Don’t Prank Someone if You Can’t Be Pranked Yourself
People love revenge, they plot, they scheme. So be prepared for their revenge pranks, it’s only fair.


Don’t Let the Jokes Linger
Don’t tell your sister that creditors are calling her about an unpaid bill and then have her worry about it all day. It might cause her unnecessary stress. Tell the person the prank, and after they believe you, let them know that you’re joking.

Be Professional
I don’t recommend you prank you boss or anyone you work with, even if your boss is the office jester ala Michael Scott. You never know how they’re going to react and create an awkward situation. Also, keep in mind that not all people like to be pranked. Respect that. Try to prank only people you know will have a great sense of humor about being pranked.

Make it Believable
If you can elaborate in your prank, it makes it more believable. Tell your mom that the salon dyed your hair blue on accident but that you really like it, elaborate by telling her things like the name of the salon, and the time of your appointment. It’s also good to prank someone about something that’s happened before, like telling your roommates that lost your keys again and have to pay for new locks, but only after payday. Also, if you’re planning a revenge prank, be sure to space out the time between pranks so that they won’t remember to suspect you, and you can do it when its least expected.

Be Prepared to Apologize
Sometimes you’ll think it’s ok to prank someone, and find that you’ve made them upset. Be sure to apologize to the people who might have hurt feelings and be sure to cross them off of your April Fool’s Day prank list. If you’ve really hurt someone’s feelings and they’re very upset and you feel guilty about it, I would try to make it up to them somehow, maybe buy them some sunflowers or make them an apology dessert. Chocolate almost always makes things better.

No comments:

Post a Comment